Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Remarkable Restored Footage for Honolulu - VJ Day, August 1, 1945



My friend, Scott Snook, made me aware of this remarkable footage of the spontaneous celebrations that broke out in Honolulu on VJ Day, August 14, 1945.

Thanks to Richard Sullivan, whose father shot the film.


67 Years Ago my Dad shot this film along Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki capturing spontaneous celebrations that broke out upon first hearing news of the Japanese surrender. Kodachrome 16mm film: God Bless Kodachrome, right? I was able to find an outfit (mymovietransfer.com) to do a much superior scan of this footage to what I had previously posted, so I re-did this film and replaced the older version There are more still images from this amazing day, in color, at discoveringhawaii.com


http://vimeo.com/5645171

No comments: