Monday, September 17, 2007

Electric Ellsbury Has the Red Sox Accelerating Towards the Post-Season

A few days ago I was at Fenway Park, volunteering at Autograph Alley, as fans waited to meet former Red Sox hurler, Rich Gale. I struck up a conversation with someone who was visiting Fenway Park for the first time. The conversation quickly turned to the topic of rookie sensation, Jacoby Ellsbury. I made some enthusiastic comments about how exciting it was for me to have been at Fenway when Ellsbury had accomplished something I had never witnessed before: he scored from second base on a passed ball. At that point, Keith Chu made me aware that he was at Fenway Park because he had been assigned by his newspaper, The Bulletin, an Oregon-based daily, to write a feature article on the Oregon native, Ellsbury. “Do you mind if I quote you on the things you have been saying?” said Chu, as he opened his notebook and began scribbling in shorthand. I was pleased to have a chance to represent Red Sox Nation in my praise of the young outfielder and five-tool future All-Star:

“There is a special electricity that goes through the stadium when people know he’s going to come to the plate,” said longtime Sox fan Al Chase, who ranked Ellsbury as the most exciting rookie he’d seen in decades of coming to Fenway Park.

“Red Sox Nation loves him.”

Mr. Chu did an excellent job encapsulating Ellsbury’s brief career, and the impact he is having on the Sox push for the playoffs. I encourage you to read the complete article below.

Go Sox!

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070916/NEWS0107/709160511/0/FRONTPAGE

No comments: