Monday, June 18, 2007

Thymn Chase in Krakow Graces the Pages of the New York Times – “Poland’s Second City is the First Choice for the Young”

My son, Thymn (a.k.a. “Tim”), was interviewed a few months ago by a writer for the New York Times. The reporter was in Krakow doing a piece of the phenomenon of Poland’s second city becoming a magnet for ex-patriot youth. The piece appeared a few weeks ago in the Sunday Times Travel Section.

When I spoke with Thymn this morning about the piece, he sounded like someone who had bumped up against the reality of having a journalist take a complex topic and a nuanced discussion, and then turning that discussion into a simplistic sound bite. Thymn had spoken extensively with the writer about the uniqueness of Krakow as a second home for Western young people. One distinctive is the rich assortment of opportunities that abound for ex-pats to truly partner with young Poles in business and artistic endeavors. That part of the interview did not find its way into print, much to my son’s chagrin.

Krakow crackles with energy. In my week there earlier this year, I fell in love with the city and its people. I look forward to my next visit.

Enjoy.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/travel/27next-1.html?ref=travel

Al

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try looking on the bright side. At least he got a free plug for his zine! :)

Mark