Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Scientist Discusses His Faith – Dr. Francis Collins, Director of the Human Genome Project

My friend, Rick Mavrovich, just made me aware of an article I feel compelled to share with the readers of The White Rhino Report.

Regardless of your faith – or lack thereof – I think you will find this commentary by Dr. Francis Collins to be worth your time. He started out as an atheist and as a medical student and physician, was forced by his patients to address issues and questions that science alone could not address. In this commentary, posted this morning on CNN.com, he shares a brief narrative of his spiritual journey. Coming as they do during this week leading up to Easter, I found his words timely and provocative.

I am a scientist and a believer, and I find no conflict between those world views.

As the director of the Human Genome Project, I have led a consortium of scientists to read out the 3.1 billion letters of the human genome, our own DNA instruction book. As a believer, I see DNA, the information molecule of all living things, as God's language, and the elegance and complexity of our own bodies and the rest of nature as a reflection of God's plan.



Enjoy reading the rest of Dr. Collins’ comments as you click on the link below.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/collins.commentary/index.html

No comments: