Friday, May 27, 2005

Revisioning Theology and Film

A little over a month ago I shared a link to Fuller Theological Seminary's magazine, Theology News & Notes. That issue focused on Max De Pree and mentoring. My alma mater, Fuller T.S., has done it again and come up with a riveting issue of its magazine that I am pleased to make you aware of.

This edition features several articles linking theology and cinema. They had me captivated as soon as I saw the cover. The cover photo is instantly recognizable as the protagonist of Cinema Paradiso as a young boy in the projection booth - eyes agape in wonder and awe at the images on celluloid that he is holding in his hands. What a wonderful visual metaphor for the power of imagery and the power of cinema.

If you have never seen Cinema Paradiso, run out and rent the DVD right now. The film is a gift to film lovers and a love letter from a film maker to his cinematic muse. You will note that in my Profile for this Blog, I list this film as one of my all time favorites. The art form of film does not get much better than this gem.

Enjoy the articles. I look forward to reading your comments.

Al

Theology News & Notes Winter 2005

No comments: