Monday, February 07, 2005

Pats Reign (Who cares if I got the final score wrong!)

What an entertaining game. Hats off to T.O. for an other-worldly performance, but it takes more than one inspired opponent to slow down the juggernaut that Bill Belichick and company have assembled.

An e-mail I received this morning from a regular reader of this Blog nicely encapsulates what it is like to be a sports fan in New England these days. I first met Sam Meckey when he was a leader of the Armed Forces Alumni Associaiton at Harvard Business School. Now working for United HealthCare, he offers the following thoughts, from the vantage point of someone who grew up in Pittsburgh in the days when the Steel City was "Title Town":

Al,

Couldn't help but think of you last night as I watched the Patriots win their 3rd Super Bowl in four years. It's definitely a great time to be a Boston sports fan. I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived there in 1979 when the Pirates won the World Series and the Steelers won their third of four Super Bowl titles. They were calling Pittsburgh "Titletown USA" which was one of my big thrills growing up.

I can't imagine how many kids growing up in Boston right now will have a completely different life then their fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers before them, all because of the success the Red Sox and Patriots have had this year.

Hope all is well and keep up the great work on the blog. I really enjoy readingit.

Sam Meckey

Thanks for sharing these thoughts, Sam. My sons and grandchildren will definitely have a different set of memories than those carried by my generation and those that proceeded us in cheering on the Sox and the Pats. May the dynasty continue!

Al

No comments: